Translate

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Skritchy scratchy...

And here we are - I've finished the last step of my Derwent Art Academy course! Step 6 was particularly fun, an exercise in pastel sgraffito... crazy enjoyable!





Starting off with some of your favourite colours, or colours you would like to have shining through in the end product, scribble two or three fairly solid layers, from light to dark. You can even have the shades of colour vary from one part of the page to another. Then finish off with a very dark colour ( I used black), being careful to press lightly so as not to disturb the layers underneath.


If you don't have a sgraffito embosser tool, use a toothpick!

To begin drawing, simply "scratch" out the outlines of your picture. Special tools are available for sgraffito, but a toothpick worked pretty well for me! These cats were taken from a photo of them sitting on a tiled floor. I preferred to have them sitting on a windowsill, so sketched in window panes and a sill instead. 

The finished product...

Below is an example of something quick if you'd like to try this technique with your pastels. Sgraffito is a great way to decorate home-made gift cards and very gratifying.



Glasses and jars seem to work very well for this style of drawing

Pastels are pretty awesome...

Let me know of your experiences in sgraffito, and of course feel most welcome to share any thoughts and comments!





2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this! I have some oil pastels and toothpicks lying around, so perhaps I will try my hand at this method. Love the kitties staring out of the window - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it! What I really like is it's a pretty fast art form, so you can create something simple and striking in very little time. Or lay down the basics of your pic, then scratch away in any free minutes you have here and there.... relaxing... Love to you and Cuan, and happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete