Translate

Thursday 12 September 2013

Dots and crosses...

I have been thoroughly inspired by Albrecht Durer's works, after a friend mentioned his sketching style to me. What an engaging pen technique! I wanted to try my hand at it immediately after scanning through rows and rows of these masterpieces.

I know this particular artwork has been prolifically reproduced into countless forms since its creation, and might perhaps best be given a breather to simply be appreciated in its original loveliness. But what can I say - I fell into the same temptation of so many before me, eagerly reached for my Superfine Faber Castell and 4B Staedtler, and before I knew it, the lines were weaving together on my page... and yet another rendition of this work was born. All I can say is, it was a wonderful experience, and I was a little sad when I had to persuade myself it was actually done, any more might spoil it... 

A study of Albrecht Durer's "Praying Hands"
Superfine Faber Castell PITT Artist Pen on 120gsm sketch paper

Original by Durer - thank you Wikipedia!

Those hands really speak to me of the person they belong to - something tender and simple in his heart intermingled with the weathering and humility brought by hardship. Well-used hands too I would say, judging from the "milking muscle" next to his thumb! I'm sure he was a vegetable gardener too...

There are a few more artworks lined up for sharing, so have a peek again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is just beautiful Em!!! My mother-in-law used to do this point work and I remember it so fondly, it is one of my favourite art techniques.
    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete