Translate

Saturday 1 March 2014

Trigger happy...

Faces are so interesting to paint or draw. It is extremely satisfying to carefully study a photo and begin with those first tentative swoops and circles to determine the position and basic shapes of the face... and within a few hours have the person's eyes gazing at you from the paper.

In the case of this portrait, I have the benefit of knowing my subject personally. I say that is a benefit, as I feel I can slip in parts of the person's nature that I have observed, or tweak the expression very subtly to best express how I have come to know him/her. Of course, I do my best to accurately capture the picture, but always keeping in mind the character, the heart of this person as I draw.



Acrylic watercolours (starting with a light pencil sketch)







No comments:

Post a Comment